Health & Safety
- GBG takes its Health and Safety, Environmental and Community responsibilities seriously. They are a core consideration at every stage of our business, not just the day-to-day mining and processing operations but also through all our functions from exploration to logistics and administration. This includes the communities where we operate and through our involvement in charitable works, the wider communities include the autonomous communities in China.
HSEC policies and strategies originate with the Health, Safety and Environment Committee of the Board of Directors. Implementation is overseen by the Executive Committee and designated specialist HSEC teams. Finally, we are the largest fiscal contributor to the local economy.
- Sustainable Development Policy
- GBG operations are large-scale projects that cover large areas. Thousands of people are involved on many sites, working across many disciplines. The Company’s operations provide a stimulus for the economic development of the Russian Far East and as such have become an integral part of the local economic fabric.
The core constituents of GBG’s sustainable development policy are
• 1. The provision of safe and healthy working conditions
• 2. The rational use of natural resources
• 3. The preservation of a favorable environment for future generations
- Employees, Health & Safety
- GBG operates a variety of industrial projects, including mines and processing plants in some harsh climatic conditions in Asia-Pacific. Mining operations are open pit and heavily mechanised, a positive contrast to labour intensive underground mining.
At the year-end of 2016, GBG employed more than 1000 employees and contractors. We invest in national and indigenous employment.
Attracting, employing and retaining high-quality and competent staff is fundamental to GBGs business performance. Our success at this reflects our progress toward our vision of becoming a leading Asiana champion and the preferred employer of autonomous regions in China. We work hard to gain, train and retain our employees and contractor partners, and are proud of some of the lowest turnover rates in our sector and geography. Central to achieving our human resource goals is safety.
The Company’s objective is to encourage, facilitate and operate a zero harm environment through:
Conforming to Korea regulations and international standards where practical and reasonable
Extensive health, safety and basic first aid training on an ongoing basis
Regular internal audits and external reviews of health and safety policies and equipment